Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site

Community club licence

This licence may only be granted to a non-proprietary club such as a sporting club, RSL club or ethnic club. The Liquor Act 1992 defines a non-proprietary club as an association where any income, profits and assets are used only to promote its objects, and are not distributed to its members.

Community club licences may only be held by incorporated associations, or unincorporated associations with an individual to hold the licence on their behalf. Upon incorporation, the licence must be transferred from the individual to the club within three months.

Trading hours

You may apply to allow trading between 7am and 9am if the sport of the club is one prescribed in a regulation (lawn bowls or golf) or if a community need can be demonstrated.

You may also apply to trade between 9am and 10am if a community need can be demonstrated.

Trading conditions

You may sell liquor for consumption on or off the premises to:

You may sell liquor for consumption on the premises only to:

No takeaway sales are permitted to people in these categories.

A register of members and a register of all visitors to the club (except minors and visiting players) must be maintained, and be available for inspection at the premises at any time.

See the guideline on clubs for more information on trading conditions.

Additional privileges

The Commissioner for Liquor and Gaming may also approve any of the following privileges for a club licence:

A separate application is required in each instance.

If you hold a community club licence, you may also lodge an application with the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation for a licence to operate gaming machines.

Service by volunteers

If the service or supply of liquor is provided only by volunteers, you must ensure that there is a person with current responsible service of alcohol training on the premises to supervise the volunteer staff.

Last reviewed 16 May 2013