Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site

Liquor licences and permits

Liquor licence fees due by 31 July: avoid penalty

OLGR must receive payment of your liquor licence fees for the 2014/15 financial year by 31 July 2014, otherwise your liquor licence will be automatically suspended under the Liquor Act 1992.

Licence types

There are different types of licences depending on your business or activity.

New licence applications

Find out about the requirements for applying for a new liquor licence, including forms, fees and compliance obligations.

Licence changes or transfers

If you already have a liquor licence but want to:

  • make changes to your trading hours or your premises
  • operate off-premises catering, a bottle shop or cellar door, or conduct other business on licences premises
  • supply or free alcohol after hours for a special event
  • transfer or relinquish your liquor or wine licence.

Advertising liquor licence applications

New licence applications and some changes and permits must be publicly advertised.


Permits are generally issues for one-off events but also include restricted trading hours for non-proprietary clubs and adult entertainment.

  • Commercial public event permit
  • Community liquor permit
  • Restricted liquor permit
  • One-off extended hours permit
  • Wine permit
  • Adult entertainment permit


Some businesses and activities do not require a liquor licence, however, strict conditions apply.

Approved managers and wine nominees

Information on becoming an approved manger for licensed venues or an approved nominee in the wine industry.

Fees and charges

A list of the fees and charges for licences and permits.

Liquor licence search

Search the database for information on premises with an approved liquor licence in Queensland.

Online sales

There is no stand alone licence under the Liquor Act 1992 or Wine Industry Act 1994 specifically allowing for direct retail sale of packaged liquor over the internet to the general public. 

However, under the Liquor Act the holders of commercial hotel licences or limited commercial special facility licences can sell retail packaged liquor for consumption off the licensed premises (takeaway liquor) to the general public. Such sales can be made online.

Under the Wine Industry Act, holders of wine producer licences or wine merchant licences are permitted to sell wine only for consumption off the licensed premises [takeaway liquor] to the general public. Again these sales may be conducted online.

The sale of liquor over the internet to people in Queensland by persons outside of Queensland is not considered to constitute an offence under the provisions of the Liquor Act or the Wine Industry Act if the store and payment of liquor happens outside of Queensland.  Sellers operating or proposing to operate from jurisdictions outside of Queensland should consult with the relevant regulatory agency in that state.

Last reviewed 25 June 2014